Been a while since I posted. Holiday season equals busy times. But I am here to present the latest finished piece, Spring is in the Air. I did this piece with a combo of Polychromos pencils and Prismacolors. Let’s get to the process 🙂
Over time this set up spread out for more room but I wanted to show you what I am working with throughout this piece.
I start out with filling in the butterfly’s body with a very light touch. I just wanted to establish that color before moving onto the background. Next step is filling in one layer in the background. It’s not a pretty stage and that’s okay! This is just to establish a direction, Things will darken up and smooth out over time. After this layer is in, I put a light layer of OMS over this to blend it out better.
Layer two of the background is now in. This stage took a lot of time. I spent as much time as the background as I did on the butterfly and the front flowers. It’s important to take my time with the entire piece instead of just the center focus. I used the same colors as the first layer, I also added in a few darker colors. Once this was all done, I went in with some more OMS and blended everything together.
After layer three of the background went in, I start in on the butterfly. With the background, I darkened certain areas. Later on I will go back in to blend out more areas of the background more. The butterfly isn’t solid yellow either, there are oranges and reds in there as well. As well as grey, and blue! The more colors put into the piece usually leads to a better finished product. Again, a light hand and I am taking my time.
More of the butterfly is coming into focus. This part took a lot less time than the background! I work in sections for this part. I take each crease of the wing and work at them one at a time. I blend the wings out with a colorless blender and in some areas, a white pencil. I am also go back into the background to darken some areas as I go.
Time to work on those front flowers! I start at the top and work my way down in sections. I am always paying attention to the direction of the leaves and petals of each flower. Once I am happy with each section, I blend out the flowers and move onto the next. In regards to the colors, I keep in mind to make this area a tad bit darker, simply because it will pop to the front of the picture.
And we have the final piece, flowers are all done! It helps to work in sections, especially with a lot of detail. At this point I walk away from the piece to get it out of my mind before deciding it’s done. Even after I signed it, I still go back and see if there are any areas that need fixing.
My camera decided that I didn’t want to get the colors right on the final product, this is actually a little darker and not so washed out
This piece is on my Daily Paintworks page on auction. It has a high bid of $65, and it’s about to end! Get your bid in today 🙂
**Up next is Ifaw’s painting, here is a sneak peak of what to look at: